October 22, 2009

Picture Palace

Right now I'm like something that knows that the disapperance of something is imminent- I can't remember what that feeling or phenomenon is called but it's like a moth with a final burst of energy flapping aggressively around the light-bulb
The disappearance is of myself from my home
Hence all of the photos of the area and my flat and friends in my flat. I'm hoarding memories
I need a change of scenery so badly
So I'm looking for a new home (still in London for now) but not having much luck
And my mind sways from...Maybe I should just stay here because... here are friends, and down the road is family, and everywhere round here is community and there's a tube line being built so I won't feel quite so cut off from the buzz of the darker, dirtier areas like Peckham, Brixton and Shoreditch;
To... I need to get out of this annoying village-esque place of thirty-somethings AND LIVE IT UP whilst I'm still in my twenties...

And there's a Cinema Campaign and it's big and on Sunday I went to the NIMBY's-are-us meeting to be met by over a 1000 people. And I didn't even know that a thousand people live in Crystal Palace never mind the 60,000 (eh?!) which somebody else suggested.

The deal with the Cinema Campaign? It's Simple:

Who wants a business orientated church in the art-deco building that used to house the Bingo Hall (once originally a cinema)?
And who wants an independent art-house cinema?

Hmmm......hmmmmmmmmm

No Brainer?

I'm a creative type, I oughta want a cinema; and I do... BUT I worry that it will yuppify this area even more that it's already yuppified over the past few years and that I should I decide to stay in the area (largely because my family are near) or should I decide to leave and then come back when I'm older and should be living somewhere like here, will property be even more costly partially as a result of a cinema?

A philosophical quagmire. I wonder if life is easier in Barnet.

http://www.campaign.picture-palace.org/

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home