July 02, 2009

Devas Youth Centre

Lady Dvyne 1
Tayze
Lady Cyclone
DSC_0084ed2hi



Devas

I was most pleased to be asked to take some photographs of the young people on the Music Production Course at Battersea's 'bangin' youth centre. The course is run and taught by my old friends Matt and Dave (aka Blue Movies), themselves long-time, seriously talented musicians. I hadn't heard any Devas music since my last visit a year ago, and upon arrival recognised only a couple of the young people, namely the ladies Dvyne and Cyclone, so didn't know what to expect of the performance later on in the evening.

I should have guessed however that the music would be in someways reflective of their personalities and subsequent poses and postures in front of the camera, all of which were highly individual and unique. Contrary to many people I've photographed, none of the Devas group really needed any prompting.

The reasons for the photo-shoot was to promote a competition that was held at Devas called "Southside," (brap!) of which the winning track would be signed to House/Garage producer Scott "It's a London Thing" Garcia's label Kronik.

The winner was 17 year old Cheyney Ranger aka "Lingo" (which was no surprise to me having witnessed his performance) with his track, 'Dance and Skank,' an energetic Grime-electro beat not altogether unlike that of Wiley, Skepta and Dizzee's latest offerings that has already been play-listed on Twin B's 1XTRA show.

All of the music I heard that night was good- Devas is seemingly full of beautiful voices, exciting souls and extrovert personalities (including the hardworking staff). Here I could say quite a bit about the role of youth centre's and initiatives in bringing out the best in people and how they maintain a positive focus on 'da youth of today,' instead of tarring them all with a muddy brush, but at risk of stepping up to high on my soap box I'm gonna shoosh myself.

Love and Thanks to:

Cheyney Ranger, Comfort Emmanuel, JoWayne Farquarson, Luane Rathan - Morgan, Kemar Bryan, Re' Kayle Ferguson - Walters, Tobi Ogunbanwo, Matt Nicholson, Sinclair Cole, Emmanuel Odenuga, Dave Koor, Scott Garcia, Kevin Brown and Ray Henry.


DEVAS PHOTO SET>>

www.devasclub.org.uk

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home