July 04, 2009

A reply to the best review of my work EVER:



The review:

"Cook’s installation covers a wide area and I was impressed by the dispersed nature of the work. For example I was greeted at East Croydon station by a friendly bureaucrat who informed me that, despite Croydon technically being in Zone 5 of London’s travelcard system, my Oystercard was not valid there and that I would have to pay a twenty quid penalty fare."

Read the rest here:

http://www.uncarved.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/suburbanpress.jpg

My reply to the review:

croydon postcardcroydon

Dear John (Eden): [Happy Belated Birthday.]

1. I'm so sorry that you got fined coming all the way to the beauty that is Croydon also affectionately known as Da Cronx because you didn't realise that it's not in OYSTER CARD land. I feel utterly terrible about that and even more that you got lost! Do appeal! PROTEST! And if those horrid train people don't give u ur money back I'll start a demonstration outside East Croydon Station with all my Cronx homies.

2. I wanted to call the show Da Cronx but couldn't persuade our tutors. We settled for Lost in The Cracks, because Croydon is sometimes lost in the cracks and so is our wonderful college amidst the annoying London art colleges that get all the fame (not that i'm at all bitter about that, The Mighty Boosh's Noel Fielding, Loefah and as you pointed out Jamie Reid all went to Croydon College!).

3. The title is also a reference to some of our work such as that of Annie Rose for example (who's image is on the flyer). Rose walks the streets of Thornton Heath at night searching for disused flotsam and jetsom which she either photographs or collects in her shopping trolley. She's amazing.

4. Thank-you so much for your kind words about my photos.

5. I'm wondering that if I publicise ur review enough, the art world will believe I'm the next Jeremy Deller, a female version? (Oh I wish I could make it to Manchester on Sunday for his procession.) That way, I might win The Turner Prize and then I can pay you back for your train fine and the delightful punch (alcoholic, violent) that you missed out on at the show.

6. "There was no trace of Georgina Cook, her invisibility only serving to highlight her presence."
Ironically, the quote attached to my statement was "a photograph is always invisible, it is not it that we see," (Roland Barthes).
Maybe you did actually see my work in the college? If not, I'm taking the show down next week, I may be able to sneak you in if u can be arsed to travel there again and can make it in the day? Haha! Yeah right. Ok, maybe I'll just send you some invisible photographs of it instead.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger John Eden said...

this is great stuff, no need for the apologetics, G! :-)

Interesting about the barthes also

11:41 AM  
Blogger ∞ infinite ∞ said...

Really, you are too kind! I'm just being highly silly. Barthes is wonderful... "Camera Lucida" is staple food for Fine Art students for a darn good reason!

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home